Friday, December 30, 2011

Howdy!

In case you haven't heard, I'm planning to open a take-out food place in Bowling Green. I'm calling it Daddy's Girl. You'll be able to get meatloaf and lasagna and pasta dishes and other comfort food, as well as delicious appetizers on order like bacon-and-gorgonzola-stuffed dates and caprese-on-a-stick. You know, the stuff I bring to parties. And of course, deviled eggs.

Why food? Why now? Are you crazy? The answer to all of these lies in my situation: laid off from a well-paid web developer job, I was sure another job was just waiting for me to apply. But alas, six months later, and with very few responses to many resumes, I'm taking matters into my own hands.

It's surprising how supportive everyone is when I tell them my idea. I truly believe that in a town rife with fast food and pizza joints, a place to swing by on your way home from work to pick up a decent, satisfying meal at a competitive price will have value.

The space is the empty half of a local market. The owner of the space is more than willing to help me retrofit it to accommodate my needs. I've worked up a budget, done tons of online research into financing and business plans and suppliers.

I've registered a website, DaddysGirlEats.com, got a gmail address, got a Facebook account and started costing out recipes. I'm going to propose my project to Kickstarter.com to allow friends to contribute to my dream in whatever way then can. The cool thing about Kickstarter is they require rewards for contributors; those rewards will be products of my kitchen. Who doesn't love food??

The larger plan is to start with what I can do with little help, then to expand gradually, hiring from within the community. I'll keep you posted on my progress. Wish me luck....

No comments:

Post a Comment